Grade inflation, is it fair? No it is not. Grade inflation is one of the most controversial topics in the University world. Not only is it a pain for students but difficult for lectures.

I am a student at the University of Sydney and at present am partaking in three subjects which involve an unfair grading scheme.

The first is a class created by myself and a few other friends. When it comes to grades however our tutor/lecturer refuses to mark us as she finds it too hard. This ultimately means WE the students must grade each other. This is fine except there is a known bias. So it doesn't even matter if the quality of your work is good, but it does depend on popularity. THIS IS WRONG!

The second class is even more ridiculous, they intend to fail you by only allowng 50% of the class pass. Once again is this fair? NO.

And the 3rd class pits normal students up against advanced students with the intent of failing students in order for those in the advanced stream to have a higher average, thus reflecting the university in a better way.

So the point of this write up is, GRADING A COURSE BY STUDENT POPULARITY IS WRONG! how does that promote a good education? It is not a measure of the students ability at all. Rate this if you agree.

In fact rate it even if you hate it.

This piece was written not only to voice my opinion but also because a subject title Collaborative Virtual Environments will fail me if I am not rated in the top 50%.

My education should not be a competition!