The circumstances leading to Brandon Lee's death were the result of a series of missteps and events, all falling in line to bring his life to an end. Basically everything that could go wrong, with handling gun props and blanks, did go wrong.

He died on March 31st, 1993.

It happened during one of the last tapings of the The Crow. The scene was that of Eric Draven's death. It involved Brandon walking in with a bag of groceries and being shot by Eric's and his fiance's killers. The gun that killed Brandon was used earlier in a close up. In such cases, empty shells are used so the bullet tips can be clearly seen in the view. Apparently the gun was also fired and one of the bullets was pushed into the barrel of the gun and became stuck there. The armmaster was also away that day. It was later determined that the empty shells were actually real bullets but emptied of gunpowder. Brandon's scene required the firing of the gun so, so by standard practice blanks were used. It's worth mentioning that blanks carry about two to three times the charge as a regular cartridge, and can actually kill at point-blank range. As a safety measure a blank gun is usually aimed off target during firing. This did not happen. The gun was pointing at Brandon when it was shot, propelling the lodged bullet, and causing major damage to the actor. It took the crew several seconds to realize the tragedy. He died soon after at the hospital.

The events described here are generally accurate. It may be that a cartridge itself was stuck in the barrel instead of a real bullet.

The film containing the shooting was destroyed without being developed.

Brandon and his fiance were to be married soon after the filming was completed.

A sad loss. His career would have taken off after The Crow. The son of Bruce Lee was starting to make a name for himself.

His tv and film credits include:

Kung Fu: The Movie (1986)
Legacy of Rage (1986)
Laser Mission (1989)
Showdown in Little Tokyo (1990)
Rapid Fire (1992)
The Crow (1993)