Moniker of Mark Oliver Everett, a musician best known for his work fronting the band Eels. Everett was born in 1963, the son of famous physicist Dr. Hugh Everett III. Mark showed very little interest in math or physics, instead delving deeply into music, spending his childhood banging out tunes on the drums and piano.

Mark's teenage years were troubled, leading to drugs and trouble with the law. When Mark was nineteen, his father died of a heart attack. A year later, Mark packed up everything and moved to L.A. where he would begin his music career.

Taking the name 'E,' he went on to release two albums, A Man Called (E) in 1992, and Broken Toy Shop in 1993. These albums sold poorly, and after a three year span of writing songs, E teamed up with drummer Jonathan Norton and bassist Tommy Walters to form Eels.

Eels released their first album, Beautiful Freak in 1996, which found success and airplay for the single Novocaine for the Soul.

At the same time, tragedy struck E, his sister committed suicide, and his mother became terminally ill with lung cancer. In 1998, Eels released the powerful album Electro-shock Blues, both sad and beautiful, an expression of his feelings about his departed family.

Eels' most recent releases have been Daisies of the Galaxy (2000), and Souljacker (2001).

source: http://eels.artistdirect.com/biography/index.shtml