SCSI is a type of interface for peripherals. Most modern SCSI devices are much speedier than their USB, FireWire, or IDE equivalents. But SCSI is not only beneficial for its speed, but also its much reduced dependence on the main CPU. For operations like CD Burning, this is a godsend. The number of coasters produced is much, much smaller when compared with an equivalent IDE or FireWire CD-R drive. And then Plextor introduced BurnProof technology. But still, if you like having a useable system while burning something SCSI is a better way to go. In recent times, though, I can't recommend it for anything more than that. A 12X SCSI burner just doesn't compare with a 40X IDE burner.
I was amazed and stunned that E2 had very little in the way of biased SCSI brain washing nodes, so I took it upon myself to take care of this. Please enjoy, won't you?:
Low Voltage Differential
High Voltage Differential
Single-Ended
SCSI-1
Differential
Fast SCSI
Ultra SCSI
Wide SCSI
Ultra Wide SCSI
Ultra 160 SCSI
Please note that all iterations of SCSI have to be properly terminated.
SCSI is also, like all wiring, susceptable to EMF and Magnetic Flux interference. Because of this, new ways to shield the precious wiring have been developed and popularized. These include ThermoPlastic Elastomer and Teflon, which is also labeled as FEP (Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene). All SCSI cabling has maximum length limits, which depend on the version used (feel free to explore the nodes above for specifics). Cabling can be custom-made and may be fairly expensive, especially the afforementioned Teflon. In general, people report up to a 10-20% gain in throughput when using high-quality cabling.