"I notice you have your thumb in my soup, any chance you can dip all five fingers in there?" - Phillip Sarc, the inventor of Sarcasm, as portrayed by Kevin Spacey on SNL

"Oh, I'm not being sarcastic, nooooo, this is just a little speech impediment. I can't help it." - Lonely Sarcastic Guy, played by Chris Foley on Kids in the Hall

 


 

I really must rein in my sarcasm. It is starting to be my default mode of communication, which is quite tiring for those around me. I have always been acerbic, but these days I am turning into a stone-cold bitch. In order to remedy this, I've identified my three primary modes of sarcasm delivery, so that I might avoid them:

1. Responding to a question that I think is an obvious one with an ridiculous alternate scenario:

My Brother, holding up a messenger bag inside my car: "Is this your bag?"
Me: "No, it isn't. I stole it from a homeless person that is taking the same classes as I am and who has the same taste in books."

2. Pretending to not have heard of something that is so prevalent in American culture that I am either lying about not knowing about it or have been living with my head up my ass for decades:

Myles, trying to make conversation as we walk through campus, the first time he flew to Texas: "Have you ever heard of Radiohead?"
Me, dumbfounded at the question: "No, actually I haven't. I was born in the basement of this building, and emerged only today to meet you at the airport."

Months Pass

Myles: "Have you ever seen American Idol?"
Me: "No, actually, I haven't. These are my first moments of life. It's all so disorienting. I am seeing with my own eyes for the first time. Quick, I must invent a vocabulary for these things. I shall call these subtle gradiations of the light ... 'colors'... yes, that's it... and these touching things 'hands', Oh, Myles, there's so much I don't know. You must teach me!"
Myles: "Jackass."

Myles bears the brunt of it, really. Once, he was telling a very emotional story, and when he had finished my response was: "Nice story. Coulda used a vampire, though." Did I want to hurt him? Of course not. But once I see the opportunity for a joke, I have to take it.

3. Subtle correction, a trick I acquired from my dad.

Observant bystander: "Xxxxx Xxxxx died last night. All the flags are at half-mask."
Me: "They're at half-mast, too."

When I was in high school, my closest friends got together as a group and told me I was mean. My friends had an intervention to tell me I was an asshole. And they were right. It is easy for me to brutalize people with what I think is funny and ignore the fact that I am hurting their feelings.

I will try to be nicer to other people. I will try not to make them feel stupid. I will try.