I know you nerds think you own this term. But golfers have been using this term since before the first electric typewriter was produced, let alone this godawful code-driven world of pinguins and perls and windows and URLs.

A hacker is one who cannot play golf well enough to suit the folks on the course who can. This harsh judgement can be assessed at various levels. For instance, if you were to play with Tiger Woods and shoot ten over par for 18 holes (a feat which less than 3% of regular golfers in the world can accomplish), he would silently think to himself, "Hacker."

On the other hand, if you were in a group of folks who had fairly low handicaps and shot anything around 100 for 18 holes, they would all look at each other with the same thought in mind.

The problem with hackers on the golf course is not so much the scores they shoot. As with most things in life, the problem is more in the lack of trying to understand the big picture. Like here on this web site, eh? You don't mind so much when folks read the FAQ and poke around and then post stuff that sucks, as long as they're trying. It's when they fail to do any grunt work and just jump in with both feet, damn the consequences, and node crap that pisses you off. Am I right?

Hackers do this on the golf course. They have nary a clue about the etiquette of the game. They rattle around in their bag while you're trying to hit. They don't fix their ball marks on the greens. They don't understand the order of who hits first on the next tee. They don't understand the rules. And when they bet, they will cheat when they are getting the crap beaten out of them.

Bill Clinton was the best example of a hacker of any POTUS in my lifetime.