I don't pretend to know what would happen if we legalized drugs, but I do find some gross hypocrisy involved in this whole War on Drugs deal. The most cynical side of me thinks that the government will never legalize drugs because they are the ones making the money; but that's way too provocative a statement to ever be proven by a mere mortal. However; here is the hypocrisy I see:

Many years ago, the religious elements of society would not allow autopsies because of the idea of desecration of the dead. Once autopsies were allowed, many medical breakthroughs were realized due to doctors being able to analyze the result of diseases and other contributing factors to premature deaths.

When airplanes were first invented, no one thought much about a crash. That's pretty much what one would expect from a crazy flying machine, isn't it? As the years went by, it became standard procedure to try and reconstruct crashes to try and determine what caused the plane to go down. This had led to much safer aircraft.

So what about the results of this War on Drugs? I know where I live, the production of methamphetamine is said to have grown around 1000% in the past 15 years. 60 Minutes did a piece last night on ecstasy and how the powers that be cannot seem to put a dent in its production or use. Crack may have lost its luster, but cocaine and heroin use is apparently around the same level it's been for several years.

What's my point? There's been a death here when it comes to this War on Drugs. Why is no one examining the corpse? There's been a crash here in the government's plan to fight drug sales and use. Why is no one trying to reconstruct the damage to see what went wrong?

No, there is no analysis of why this war is being lost on all fronts. There is only a cry for more money to be spent. If all 20 Alaska Air planes that took off one day went down, would Alaska Air be calling for spending more money on that type plane?

I just don't understand why no one is asking this question in the mainstream media.