In 1965, Leslie Stevens directed a movie called Incubus which starred William Shatner. This art/horror movie was the first of its kind. Well, hell; it's (to date) the only one of its kind.

Incubus was made entirely in the artificial language Esperanto, even in the opening credits.

The movie takes place in a sort of medieval world centered around a village called "Nomen Tuum," which is famous throughout the land for its Deer Well, containing waters that have healing powers. The waters can also make people more beautiful, which attracts evil in the form of Succubi (demons) disguised as young, beautiful women who stalk the land around the well to seduce and kill people wishing for beauty, in order to capture souls. All in all, it has the weird look of a Swedish movie made in California.

Why would someone do something like this? Why would William Shatner continue, to this day, claim to be an avid devotee of Esperanto?

I, for one, think that this is the real reason Art Bell is giving up his radio show. He can answer this question, but good luck on getting him on the phone.


A user who appears to be devoted to the concept of Esperanto says that Shatner knows nothing about the language, and neither did this moviemaker. S/he says you'd have to have a copy of the script in order to make sense of it. I'll take the user's word for it.