The guitar riffs in Tool's songs are amazingly simple. toolshed.down.net is the unofficial/official site where you can grab drum, guitar, and bass tablature for every song.

What might make the songs seem odd, is that the guitar uses a drop-d tuning, which is relatively common, but not as well done as in tool's tunes.

It's been hypothisized that because of Adam Jones's (guitarist) former art training, his music comes off as original. And it is, but not as much as some tend to believe. I'm not trying to put him down or anything, but there are far more accomplished players.

Most of the tunes are in standard 4/4 time, albeit syncopated.

Many of the first songs I learned to play on guitar were Tool songs. However, it's also been hypothisized that Danny Carey (drummer) is a minor deity.


artemis entreri: You're probably right. While the tabs can be quite bad at times, I don't think they're there for a note per note transcription. I don't think that's the point.

As well, the tone is the key here, I totally understand what you're saying. Some of that has to do w/r/t Jones' gear, of course, and both studio effects, etc.

The inverted/other chord thing: I dunno, it seems pretty basic to me. I could just be not as good as I sometimes like to think myself to be. Actually, I'm quite sure I suck, so . . .