Between July and August of 1973, Dr. Timothy Leary and a four-person telepathy team separated themselves from the walls of Folsom Prison, where Leary had been incarcerated for many years on a marijuanna possession charge. Leary at this time had spent many months under solitary confinement. Sources say that he emerged from his sensory deprivation still smiling. There was something in his mind telling him, a feeling--a vibration that he had to do something, prison or no prison.

In the middle of the Dog Days of Dog star Sirius, Leary, Leary's wife, Joanna Leary, a fellow prisoner Wayne Benner and a journalist had a collective hallucination, shared without the aid of psychedelics. What the seeker seeks, the prover prooves. And with a step into chapel perilous, in 19 stages/brusts came the following (summarized by Robert Anton Wilson) Starseed Transmission.

It is time for life on Earth to leave the planetary womb and learn to walk through the stars.

Life was seeded on your planet billions of years ago by nucleotide templates which contained the blueprint for gradual evolution through a sequence of biomechanical stages.

The goal of evolution is to produce nervous systems capable of communicating with and returning to the Galactic Network where we, your interstellar parents, await you.

Life on planet Earth has now reached this halfway point, established itself, and evolved through larval mutations and metamorphoses to the seven brain stages.

At this time the voyage home is possible.

Assemble the most intelligent, advanced, courageous of your species, divided equally between men and women. Let every race, nationality, and religion be represented.

You are about to discover the key to immortality in the chemical structure of the genetic code, within which you will find the scripture of life. The time has come for you to accept the responsibility of immortality. It is not necessary for you to die.

You will discover the key to enhanced intelligence within the chemistry of the nervous system. Certain chemicals, used wisely, will enable your nervous system to decipher the genetic code.

All life on your planet is a unity. All life must come home.

Total freedom, responsibility and interspecies harmony will make the voyage possible. You must transcend larval identities of race. culture and nationality. Your only allegiance is to life. The only way you will survive is to make the voyage home.

The Japanese people are the most advanced race on your planet and will give protection to the company.

We are sending a comet to your solar system as a sign that the time has come to look to the stars.

When you arrive back home you will be given new instructions and powers. Your sperm ship is the flower of terrestrial life. As soona s the company is formed and the voyage begun, war, poverty, hatred, fear will disappear from your planet and the most ancient prophecies and celestial visions will be realize.

Mutate!

Come home in glory.

Later that year, Comet Kohoutek (as predicted) arrived in the solar system and spaced out into the sun. But now what? Whether one wants to belive that Leary and friends really communicated with an extrasolar intelligence is beside any point. This world is a crazy place and no one should make judgements about other's achievements in worlds beyond your own. There is no reason to believe. There is no reason to not believe. There is no reason. There is.

Come away from the Starseed transmissions just a little more aware of something else, and let the world do the convincing.

Sources:
Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson
Terra II by Timothy Leary