Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes

5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
Juice and zest of two oranges
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pinches sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons kuzu dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup maple syrup
11/2 cups rolled oats, ground into oat flour in a food processor
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons barley malt
3 tablespoons maple syrup

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and mash or purée until smooth and creamy.

  2. Add orange juice and zest, spices, salt, vanilla, maple syrup(1/2 cup) and dissolved kuzu. Mix well and set aside.

  3. To make the pie crust, combine the oat flour, whole-wheat pastry flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together oil, maple syrup(1/4 cup) and water. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well-combined. With moistened fingertips, pat the oat mixture into an oiled 8-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes.

  4. Pour sweet potato filling into the baked crust. Leave enough room for the pecan topping. Set aside.

  5. Scatter pecans on baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes, or until toasted. Combine barley malt and maple syrup(3 tbsp) and toss with pecans so they're shiny but not drenched. Place pecans mosaic-fashion on top of pie filling. Bake about 40 minutes, or until pecan topping is bubbling and caramelized and the crust is brown at the edges. Cool pie before slicing.
back to Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner