March, J. G. and H. A. Simon (1958). Organizations. New York, John Wiley.

This books starts with a critique of "classic" organizational theory based primarily on the lack of focus on intraorganizational conflicts of interest, bounded rationality in human agents, and lack of focus on motivation as a contributing factor in organizational sturcture.

In a chapter similar to the culture sections of Weick and Robbins, March and Simon discuss different internal motivational factors in an organization that may affect behavior. They model several different motivational schemes, but the core arguments boil down to the assertion that motivation is affected by (a) the evoking of action alternatives for the individual (b) the consequences of evoked alternatives anticipated by the individual and (c) the value attached to the consequences by the individual.

An important concept in the book is on conflict, which the authors roughly define as unacceptability, incomparability and uncertainty. Each involves some level of ambiguity in terms of the solution space for the individual, and thus relates to Weick's work. Conflict in an organization has two possible sources, intraindivual and interindividual.

This wouldn't be Simon without a chapter on cognitive limits of humans. The authors discuss the concept of bounded rationality and how it applies to individual behavior in an organizational context. Basically, they reject the Taylorisms in scientific management by pointing to behavioral implications of cognitive characteristics in humans. How we think influences how we act and interact in organizations.