Firefly was a "space western" on Fox from Joss Whedon, the mind behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The premise is as follows: After a galactic civil war, a force known as the Alliance now governs the planets. Those who don't agree with Alliance rule have resigned themselves to life on and around the border planets, where the Alliance doesn't have quite as much power. The crew and passengers of the transport vessel Serenity (a Firefly class ship), all trying to avoid the Alliance for one reason or another, look for legitimate work where they can get it, but will also take on less legit work if the pay is right.

Show Status

Serenity (Firefly: The Motion Picture!)
In theaters (US, at least) September 30. See it early, see it often.

Firefly: The DVD Set!
The Complete Series DVD set is now available. It includes all episodes (including 3 that were unaired), commentary on "Serenity," "The Train Job," "Shindig," "Out of Gas," "War Stories," "Objects in Space," and "The Message," along with featurettes, a gag reel, and deleted scenes from a couple of episodes.

Who's Who?

  • Nathan Fillion - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds
    Nathan Fillion can next be seen in "Slither", which is listed as filming now on IMDB. And, like the rest of the cast, he'll also be in the upcoming "Serenity" feature film.
  • Gina Torres - Zoe
    Gina Torres will be in the film "Five Fingers" and an upcoming TV series, "Soccer Moms".
  • Alan Tudyk - Hoban "Wash" Washburne
    Alan Tudyk can next be seen in the TNT miniseries "Into The West" this summer.
  • Morena Baccarin - Inara Serra
    Morena Baccarin has a role on the on-hold (perhaps permanently on-hold) Fox drama "Still Life."
  • Jewel Staite - Kaylee
    Jewel Staite was last seen in "Widow on the Hill" on Lifetime.
  • Adam Baldwin - Jayne Cobb
    Adam Baldwin is in the upcoming NBC miniseries remake of "The Poseidon Adventure", and is currently on "The Inside", a Fox drama series.
  • Sean Maher - Simon Tam
    Sean Maher has a role in "Living 'til the End", due out sometime this year.
  • Summer Glau - River Tam
    Summer Glau had a guest role on CSI in November 2004, and had a small part in the recent film Sleepover.
  • Ron Glass - Shepherd Book
    Ron Glass has done voice work on "All Grown Up" on Nickelodeon.
  • Episodes

  • Serenity (original pilot) - Airdate 12/20/02
    Here's a brilliant idea, if you're Fox: don't actually air the pilot episode as the pilot. Serenity is the real pilot episode, but for reasons I still don't get, was actually aired LAST on Fox. Here we meet the crew and the Alliance. Written and Directed by Joss Whedon.
  • The Train Job (Fox pilot) - Airdate 9/20/02
    Mal and the crew are hired to rob a train, but have second thoughts when they discover what they've stolen.
  • Bushwhacked - Airdate 9/27/02
    The Serenity comes across an abandoned ship that was ransacked by Reavers, a group of vicious pirates. To make matters worse, an Alliance ship shows up while Mal and the crew are taking supplies from the abandoned ship.
  • Shindig - Airdate 11/1/02
    Mal finds himself in a sword duel after defending Inara's honor at a high-society party.
  • Safe - Airdate 11/8/02
    Simon and River are kidnapped, and Shepherd Book is badly hurt in an ambush. With their doctor unavailable, Mal decides to take Book to an Alliance hospital.
  • Our Mrs. Reynolds - Airdate 10/4/02
    Mal's payment for a particular job well done? A wife.
  • Jaynestown - Airdate 10/18/02
    The crew ends up on a planet where Jayne is considered a hero of the people.
  • Out of Gas - Airdate 10/25/02
    When an explosion cripples the ship, Mal flashes back to how the crew first came together.
  • Ariel - Airdate 11/15/02
    Simon plans to infiltrate an Alliance hospital to find out what was done to River, but the plan goes bad when Jayne tries to double-cross him.
  • War Stories - Airdate 12/6/02
    Looking for some payback for a botched train job (see The Train Job), a crime lord plans to stop Mal's medical supply scam.
  • Trash - unaired
    Mal's "wife" Saffron has a proposal for a heist.
  • The Message - unaired
    Mal and Zoe are responsible for transporting the body of a war buddy back to his parents.
  • Heart of Gold - unaired
    The crew tries to help a friend of Inara's who happens to be a Madam.
  • Objects in Space - Airdate 12/13/02
    A bounty hunter gets inside Serenity and goes after River.