15:15

Episode 162: No C! for Break from the Finnish Military

Although all the ~5 noders who care about this crap have already been informed of the stuff that happened during the period of inactivity, I'll bring you up to speed anyway.
The army still refuses to let me go. My life long dream to become a C-class person - freed from any military service during times of peace - is as far from becoming reality as it was 4 years ago. Once again, they stated I am clearly in too good of a mental and physical condition to get C!d, but instead of handing me B-class papers forcing me to military/civil service they simply gave me 3 more years of postponement.
I'm not really pissed off by the decision. After all, it's the second best thing to getting C!d. I most likely have to do my time in civil service, but at least I can decide by myself when to leave the application.
But what does this say about the state of Finland's defense? That guys like me are considered fit to serve in such tasks? I aren't the most insane person there is - apart from extremely low self-esteem and occasional short temper, I guess I'm more or less a stable human being. But in terms of motivation and dealing with authority? Hah! The politicians are constantly talking about closing down training camps and scaling down the military. 99% of young male Finns answered in a study* that they would enter military service even if it wasn't mandatory. So what use to they have for a guy who doesn't give a rat's ass and would rather be anywhere else? And the physical part.. Don't get me started. While I've slowly been getting into a better shape than I was a few years ago, I still am the athletic equivalent of a big rock. Why the hell would they want me being there slowing others down and being in the way?

I guess some things just aren't meant to make sense.

In non-army-related "news".. I had a two week vacation, the first one since I started working in this company! For some strange reason I abandoned my plans of doing nothing for 2 weeks, and instead started cleaning out the closets and shelves in my pigsty. One useless desk plus a ton of trash later, the place is almost starting to look like a place someone could live in. Come to think of it, working feels more of a holiday than all the manual labor did. :)
I didn't initially plan to take some time off E2 as well, but there simply was no time to node. And afterwards there hasn't been much desire for it anyway - as you might have guessed from reading my home node. Perhaps I'll regain my will to contribute some day..

Work has been good. The small-scale project manager duties aren't as suicide-inducing as I originally feared, and a week ago we got a new intern from Greece who seems to be a great guy. His first trip abroad is a 6-month stay in Finland! Now that's something different. I didn't even realize how horrible my English pronounciation was until Jeeves and Nikka visited Helsinki last july. My skills might look nearly average on paper or a computer screen, but when I open my mouth to speak... Let's just say that there's a reason for why you won't see me on Voices of Everythingians. Talking to a cow orker in English all day every day is just what the linguist ordered! With all the stress and fustration the job somteimes causes, even these kinds of small positive occurrences are worth rejoicing. :)

Hmm. I have yet to write a day log with any reference to the WTC disaster or the War Against Terrorism™. For the record, I'd like to state that in my opinion all of this sucks donkey balls. Thank you.

Time to leave this steaming pile of nothing and try to get some work done before leaving the office to enjoy the rainy-but-so-psychedeliciously-colourful HML autumn. Happy downvoting!


*  No, of course I don't believe it was an impartial study.