A bi-timbral 6-voice polyphonic analog/digital synthesizer with a 61-note keyboard.
Released in 1985 as an inexpensive alternative to the Matrix-12, with a $1595 price tag. Approximately 2000 units produced before the late 90s.

The Matrix-6 features two DCOs per voice, with sawtooth, triangle, pulse waves plus 3 sync modes. White noise is available on DCO2. A resonant 4-pole (24dB/octave) low-pass VCF is featured as the filter. The M6 offers two LFOs switchable between triangle, sawtooth up/down, square, random and noise waveforms, along with a special custom sampled wave. There are three DADSR envelope generators (the first D is for delay) and two simple ramp generators.

Perhaps the most interesting feature of the M6 is "Matrix Modulation", a system which allows for extremely versatile modulation routings in a style faithful to the old modular synthesizers. Just about every signal source can affect each other. 20 modulation sources and 32 destinations offer many exciting programming possibilities.
Besides keyboard tracking, the synth's tracking generator can affect the modulation sources, along with a lag generator that applies a portamento-type effect to the target source.
Programming itself is done in a way very popular in the synths of the era. The front panel full of sliders and knobs is replaced by a few membrane buttons and a single dial. Software editors were made available to speed up and ease the process.

The Matrix-6's keyboard is velocity and aftertouch sensitive. It can be split/layered, and from software version 2.13 upwards can control a connected Matrix-6 to double the polyphony.
100 user programmable patches and 50 split settings can be stored in the synth's internal RAM, with backup available through SysEX and a tape interface.
The unit's decent MIDI implementation allows all 6 voices to be used as separate monophonic voices. Other features include support for 2 pedals and the usual pitch bend / mod controls.

Famous users include Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream, Orbital, Astral Projection and Future Sound of London.

Information collected from all over the net, as usual.


back to Oberheim