A monophonic analog synthesizer with a 37-note keyboard. Designed by Bob Moog himself, along with Jim Scott and Tom Rhea. Released in 1983.

The Spirit has 2 VCOs per voice. They can be synced and are switchable between sawtooth, square and triangle waveforms. A white/pink noise generator is also available.
The filter section features 3 VCFs: high-, low- and band-pass. Other filter features include switchable 12dB/24dB slope, an independent ADSR envelope, key-tracking and single/multiple triggering.
The synth also contains a ring modulator and an arpeggiator with 3 patterns linkable to the LFO. An audio input is included for modulating external sounds.

For user control, there's a big bunch of knobs and switches along with 3 performance wheels. These control the pitch, Mod-X and Shaper-Y effetcts. The arpeggiator has 3 modes: ripple (up/down), arpeggio (up several octaves) and leap (up 1 & then 4 octaves). Auto and preset Glide modes are included for elasticity/bending effects.

Crumar Spirit is often compared to the MiniMoog. While the sound isn't quite as thick due to one less VCO per voice, the flexibility of Spirit makes it an equally exciting synth.

The synth uses CEM 3340, CEM 3350 and CEM 3360 chips.


back to Crumar