Happy birthday honey!!!

My kid turns nine today and I’m sorta in a reflective kinda mood so here goes.

Only nine years old and you’ve already been a nurse to those who are sick, a veterinarian to animals in need, a scientist in search of new and wondrous things, and an imaginary schoolteacher to your class of stuffed animals.

Only nine years old and you’ve already been a poet who’s short efforts speak volumes, an author of stories that live in your heart and wind up on paper, a songwriter who brings joy to the words that come out of her, a soccer player with a sense of determination and sportsmanship that is rare in one so young, and a ballet dancer in search of a performance.

Only nine years old and you’re already a budding pianist who brings music to my ears, a painter of many styles and colors and who has yet to discover boundaries and whose works adorn my refrigerator , an actress willing to take on parts both tough and tender, a doctor to those in need of healing, and a baseball player trying for the game winnning hit.

Only nine years old and you’ve already been a gourmet chef who specializes in French toast, a seamstress who mends clothes for her dolls, a philanthropist who recognizes the need for good, a salesperson on behalf of the Girl Scouts, a marine biologist in the deepest of oceans, an astronomer who gazes at the stars with a sense of awe and wonder, and an astrologist who finds meaning in such things.

Only nine years old and you’ve already been an architect with a flair for the dramatic, a pacifist who can’t conceive of violence, a philosopher who’s thoughts and reflections are a constant source of amazement, a dreamer of dreams, and a keeper of promises.

You've been all of that and so much more. In a strange way, I wish I could stop time and keep you where you are and in an even stranger way, I can’t wait for the rest to unfold…

Tonight we’re going to celebrate by having some of the neighborhood kids and their parents over for ice cream and cake. While they’re over, I’m going to be thinking about some words written by Bob Dylan many years ago that I hope hold true for the rest of your life. It’s a song called Forever Young and while I don’t know if I can use them here anymore, I’m going to try.

Forever Young

May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

Happy Birthday kiddo!!!!