The Federal Government Provided for in the Original Constitution was Not too Powerful

Node your homework!

The federal government provided for in the original Constitution was not too powerful nor did it overwhelm the rights of the states. Though it was certainly much stronger than the one provided for under the Articles of Confederation, it was not too strong. Instead, the new government contained the perfect mixture of powers and checks needed to run an effective government.

The federal government created was not too strong because it was, and still is, a republican form of government guaranteed under Article IV Section 4 of the Constitution. Officials are elected by the people. This system helps to ensure that federal officials act responsibly. For example, if a Congressman votes for a law that his constituents disapprove of, he may well end up losing to the competition at the next election.

Another reason why the government created was not too strong is because it is a federal form of government. Though the central government has great power under the enumerated powers of the Constitution, some powers, such as intrastate trade are reserved for the states. Therefore, though the federal government is powerful, it is not all-powerful.

On the other hand, despite the powers denied to the federal government, it can still grow stronger by using the elastic clause. Under it, Congress can pass all laws "necessary and proper" for carrying out its delegated powers, such as creating a space agency. However, though this clause enables the government to grow in power, it does not make it all-powerful. The federal government is still denied certain powers, such as passing an ex post facto law or bill of attainder.

The federal government's design also prevents one person from gaining too much power and becoming a despot or king. Under the Tri-Partite government provided for under the separation of powers, federal power is divided into three sections: the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches. No one branch, in theory, can overpower the others and the state governments because of a series of checks and balances created in the Constitution. Every branch has the power to check the actions of another. For example, the Supreme Court, as head of the Judicial Branch, has the ability to nullify a law passed by Congress by declaring it unconstitutional. Furthermore, each branch is further divided: the bicameral legislature consists of a House of Representatives and a Senate, the President, as head of the Executive Branch, must work through his department heads, and there are several justices on the Supreme Court. Under this system, it is almost impossible for one person to gain too much power.

In addition, the original Constitution ensures that the Senate is more loyal to the states than the federal government. The legislatures of each state appoint Senators under the unamended Constitution. Therefore, the Senators must please their respective states in order to get reappointed. Though it is true that members of the House were, and still are, chosen through direct elections, both houses' consent is required to pass a bill into law. Furthermore, the Senate, as the upper house, has the sole power to ratify treaties and must confirm all Presidential appointments.

If one looks carefully at the facts, it becomes clear that the federal government created under the Constitution of 1787 was not too powerful. In fact, the opposite is true; the government was designed so that it could not grow too powerful and neither could one person become a monarch.