bah!

kids!

There was no such thing as a High Ping Bastard. Nor is there now...

The correct term of High Ping Whiner came about during the good ole' days of multiplayer Doom. Multiplayer Doom started out as serial-only, there was no networking involved so your computers were right next to each other.

Then some depraved soul (I've forgotten who, otherwise I would ask for my college years back) went and added a networking stack playable via the IPX protocol. This was all well and good, it allowed for network play locally (and later through PPP wrapper programs like Kali). Before those wrapper programs (enabling IPX over a dial-up) came about however, doom got its TCP/IP support. Granted the network code was rather poor, someone connected through a non-congested ISDN or T1 line (plenty of colleges and businesses had them by now) could expect fairly decent latency. However, the players using modem dialup or stuck overseas (from the US) usually suffered high latency or lag and never ceased to complain.

They were given the designation High Ping Whiners by the people who got to kill them repeatedly on their fast connections. Conversely, the poor people stuck on modems called those well-to-do folks with fast connections Low Ping Bastards because they were all, in fact, bastards.