Apple Computer's code name for version 10.3 of Mac OS X, its next generation operating system which is due late 2003 and was announced on the World Wide Developers Conference at the end of June, 2003.

Panther features a bunch of improvements over Mac OS X 10.2 (code name 'Jaguar'), most notably the following:

Finder
The all-new Finder puts you at the center of your Mac.
The new and improved finder will offer a sidebar for your favorite folders, local or networked. Along with an iTunes or Mail like search feature. Overall speed is also improved

Exposé
Exposé quickly tiles open windows and reveals files on your desktop.
Exposé offers a way to display all your open windows at once. Using Quartz Panther will rearrange all your open widows and allow you to click on the one you want. Then all widows return to their original size and the newly selected window remains up front and active. Exposé will work the same way for arranging windows in a specific application.

iChat AV
iChat AV offers videoconferencing for the rest of us.
With a broadband internet connection, iSight (or a DV camera), and iChat AV anyone can set up video conferencing as easily as text messaging. With a 56k internet connection audio feeds can be used. What does this mean? No more long distance calls. Simply use iChat AV to talk to anyone, anywhere.

Fast User Switching
Change users without logging out of your applications.
On most modern operating systems users can switch between accounts without logging out, without shutting down programs. Panther will incorporate this time saving feature with the most advanced operating system around. Along with this new User Switching mode Apple has made a new account manager.

Mail
New time-saving features to make contacting folks easier.
The same Mail you know and love, but now with more. Mail will incorporate the ability to track email threads, even if the subject line changes. It will also be more integrated with Address Book, allowing coping names and email addresses between the two.

FileVault
FileVault secures your home folder with AES-128 encryption.
Advanced Encryption Standard with 128-bit keys (AES-128) secures your personal files without any slowdown. For complete security, FileVault also includes a permanent/destructive file deletion.

Preview
Scroll through and search PDFs faster than before.
With the increasing number of web sites using PDF for information or instruction booklets a good PDF Viewer is needed. Preview for Panther with have the ability to search PDF files for key words, as well as copy sections of text. The new Preview will also be able to view faxes from the newly incorporated fax support.

Font Book
Find, organize and manage all the fonts on your Mac.
Font Book will enable the user to turn fonts on and off, select font categories, or simply install new fonts. When you need to find a web compatible font Font Book can disable all other fonts. Font Book can be used to find special characters as well.

Faxing
Send and receive faxes on your desktop.
Adding fax capabilities to your desktop through your already existing modem. Any program that can print will automatically have the ability to fax. Fax numbers can be stored in Address Book, and only entries with fax numbers will be listed when faxing.

iDisk
Work on remote files from a copy of your iDisk on your desktop.
iDisk can now be set to synchronies with a folder on your computer. That means you simply edit what you want when you want in realtime, and let the OS upload it to your .Mac account when you are connected to the internet. No wasted time.

Xcode
The fastest way to develop Mac OS X applications.
Xcode reduces compiling time by compiling code as you type. It also will feature fix and continue. That means fixing your code while you debug an application without needing to recompile to continue debugging. For large projects Xcode also offers distributed build. Harnessing the power of other computers to compile huge projects.


http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/