Many people will tell you that dating your best friend is not a good idea. Heck, a year ago I would have told someone the same thing. Chances are that you'll just end up in a messy break up, a lot of tears, and no best friend, right? That's what I thought until I dated my best friend.

My friend and I had figured out a while before that we liked each other. We were good enough of friends to be able to figure out who the other liked. When he asked me out, there was none of that weird awkward conversation. He just asked me one day and we both knew I was going to say yes.

Dating, itself, was also nice. I already was totally confortable around him. We had been the kind of friends that we also together, always knew everything about the other. Now that we were dating, that didn't change, we simple had different feelings for each other. Those couple months that we dated I learned so much about him.

The other nice thing was that he already knew how far I had been, and how far I was willing to go. He knew my standards and morals and knew that I stuck to them. He knew enough about me already to know not to test them.

I also know that not all good things last. We did end up breaking up. It was the end of the school year and we didn't see each other till school started. I wasn't sad we broke up either. We had both come to realize that we had liked being friends better. The reasons are of little importance. When we saw each other the next September in school, we were still best friends. Nothing had changed, except that we had gained a better insight to each other and memories that will last a life time.