The Winter Solstice, also known as Yule, celebrates the birth of the new solar year and the beginning of winter. It dates back over 4000 years. This is the shortest day of the year. The Goddess and the Horned God are both honored during Yule rituals. Yule marks the death and re-birth of the Sun God. The Goddess manifests as the Great Mother and the God as the Sun Child. This is a time when death gives way to rebirth and the land is born anew. It is the time when the Dark Lord is sacrificed so that the Sun God can be reborn in his place. This is a time for meditation and inner renewal.

Most of the customs, lore and rituals associated with "Christmas" actually are linked to Winter Solstice celebrations of ancient Pagan cultures. The festival of Yule traditionally lasted for 3 days of feasting and celebrating. The ritual of lamps burning all night on the eve of Yule still survives today. Practiced by many various beliefs, it is symbolized by a single lit candle. Yule logs, lit on the eve of Yule, is used to symbolize the rebirth of the God and the sacred fire of the Goddess. Trees or evergreens may also be honored as symbols of continuing fertility of the earth. Red candles are used to symbolize the fire and heat of the returning sun as the days begin to lengthen. Family and friends are a very important part of any Winter Solstice celebration. Remember those who are and have been important in your life and show your appreciation.

This is for The Ninjagirls Christmas Special. Brightest Blessings and Happy Yule to you and yours.