Frequently a blanket term applied to any atheist, agnostic, or more commonly anyone who supports secularism and the seperation of church and state. As such it has become more of a pejorative with little regard to whether the person in question is actually a humanist, but merely that they are initiating secular policies rather than religiously oriented ones favorable to your religious views. If local government removes a ten commandments monument it is not uncommon for angry fundamentalists to cite this as an example of how the government doesn't really stand for separation of church and state, but rather the establishment of secular humanism as a state religion.

Secular humanism in practice these days tends to be more distinctly liberal (in the modern, American, meaning of the word) and oriented along the lines of neo-socialist thought: e.g. nationalised healthcare, living wage, legalization of drugs, etc. It tends to oppose the often similiarly secular "small l" libertarianism. While this is likely to be more related to the individuals than the movement itself (although the fourteenth point of the humanist manifesto tends to encourage collectivism) it tends to be the modern shape of humanists.