I am terrified. Today I was asked to go to a presentation of project A, together with my boss who would give the presentation. I expected to play my usual role of technical gopher, and when I got there the Big Kahuna said, "okay, you talk about project A, while baffo here will tell us all about project B".

Now project B is a huge mess, a very tentative draft of which is scheduled for presentation to the Big Kahuna tomorrow, and definitely not ready for anything today. Besides there is the little matter that I am not the project leader for B, I am just an advisor or something like that, as it was made emphatically clear to me yesterday by Mr. Bar, the real project leader for project B.
I have no problem with that, having my hands full with countless other things, including being the webmaster of a big honking site out there.

So now, this is the situation: the Big Kahuna has decided in his mind that I must lead project B, the Lesser Kahuna and my boss had not been told, Mr. Bar has not been told and is forging ahead with his own demo, I am trying to put together something, and there is another splinter group doing its own little design somewhere: luckily I know that they are doomed because they have no techies and are controlled by graphic designers.

I am thrilled, I am terrified, I will by buy an airplane ticket to an undisclosed destination, liquidate my assets and SKIP.

... later in the day: now we have 4, count'em, four prototype for project B including:

  1. My favourite graphic designer's effort, currently being improved and mysteriously accepted by Mr. Bar as a good thing.
  2. Mr. Bar's previous prototype.
  3. Mr. Bar's previous previous prototype, but it doesn't count for it is loathsome in the eyes of the Big Kahuna.
  4. Miss Baz's instant prototype (the splinter group mentioned above), designed by a chrome junkie and complete with two animated thingies per page and big round buttons looking like election pins for the losing candidate and angry fruit salad color scheme.
Mr. Bar has (apparently) not been told that the scepter of command is now in my grasp, and I for sure am not telling him. It is not becoming for people of our sanguage.
tomorrow we all bow and scrape and present and powerpoint in front of the Big Kahuna. The Lesser Kahuna will be there. My immediate boss will be there.

I am sure that there will be much rejoyicing and suckling pigs aplenty.