Well, another week, another hardware problem. As previously noted, something Bad happened to my server that is coloed in New Westminster. Due to a fortunate set of circumstances (I didn't carpool, and I didn't take lunch) I was able to leave work early. A lovely drive in the pouring rain out to the colo, a bit of tinkering to see if it was maybe a cable, or the controller, and then packing the box into the trunk and driving it back home. Sadly the noises that were coming out of the hard drive (wiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzthunk wiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzthunk wiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzthunk) told me it was not going to come back up any time soon.

Most things were backed up. I had to re-install the base OS (Debian Linux) and try to remember what was installed before, but it all got worked out eventually. The only thing I didn't back up was my /usr/lib/cgi-bin directory :( This directory didn't have much, but it did have the main search and view script from the free geek personals page I run (Peer2Peer Personals). The site is in enormous need of a facelift and redo, but I just haven't had time, and I think my perl-fu has gone (I've been a c hacker for a while now). Guess I don't have much choice now do I?

All in all, it could have been much worse... Still, not a nice way to spend the weekend.