Book of Love, a synth-pop quartet of the 1980's, disbanded in 1993, but regrouped to release a compilation CD, including some new tracks as well as remixes in 2001. Included in the new CD 'I Touch Roses', is "It's In Your Eyes", which although never recorded until now, was one of the first songs written by the band.
The seed for Book of Love was sown when Jade Lee, who was a Philadelphia College of Art classmate of Susan Ottaviano, joined Susan and Ted Ottaviano (no relation) in a band called Head Cheese. The band was born when Ted recruited, Lauren Roselli, one of his fellow School of Visual Art students. Roselli was the one who managed to give DJ Ivan Ivan a copy of "Boy". Ivan, who had scored a dance hit with "The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight", passed "Boy" on to the head of Sire Records, Seymour Stein. According to Ted, when Ivan played the demo for Stein, his response was "That's the one I want". "Boy" became an underground smash hit and Book of Love was in full bloom.

Book of Love is:
Susan Ottaviano--lead vocals
Ted Ottaviano--songwriter/ keyboards/ vocals
Lauren Roselli--keyboards/ vocals
Jade Lee--keyboards/ vocals
Book of Love recorded four albums as part of the Sire Warner group.
They were as follow...

'Book of Love',the self titled album, released in 1986, saw "Boy", "I Touch Roses" and "Modigliani" achieve fame as influential club hits.

  1. Modigliani (Lost In Your Eyes)
  2. You Make Me Feel So Good
  3. Still Angry
  4. White Lies
  5. Lost Souls
  6. Late Show
  7. I Touch Roses
  8. Yellow Sky
  9. Boy
  10. Happy Day
  11. Die Matrosen
  12. Book of Love
13-17 are remixes, bonus songs not featured on album or cassette

'Lullaby' was released following a two year opening slot for Depeche Mode. The first track was a remix of Mike Oldfield's theme from the Exorcist, "Tubular Bells". The second track, "Pretty Boys & Pretty Girls", a Billboard Hot 100 Single, was one of the first songs to address the devastation known as AIDS.

  1. Tubular Bells
  2. Pretty Boys And Pretty Girls
  3. Sea of Tranquility
  4. Melt My Heart
  5. With A Little Love
  6. Witchcraft
  7. You Look Through Me
  8. Champagne Wishes
  9. Oranges And Lemons
  10. Lullaby

'Candy Carol", a whimsical collection of nursery rhymes and light psychedelia flavored with punk, was released in 1991. "Counting Rosaries", which has been remade more than a few times, is featured on the 2001 compilation CD.

'Lovebubble', the fourth album released but the only one not in print, was the one that gave the most insight to the individuality of the band members. There were songs reflective of each, with lead vocals by all four members. To add opinion, "Chatterbox part 2", featuring Jade's lead intermingled with ambient computer blips, is one of the more memorable songs.

'I Touch Roses', a best of collection, has been called a gift of sorts to Book of Love's fans. It was, in my case, appreciatively received.

  1. I Touch Roses
  2. Boy
  3. Modigliani
  4. Alice Everyday
  5. Hunny Bunny
  6. Getting Faster
  7. Pretty Boys And Pretty Girls
  8. You Make Me Feel So Good
  9. Sunny Day
  10. Chatterbox Pt.2
  11. Tubular Bells
  12. Counting The Rosaries
  13. Lullaby
  14. Try
  15. Boy
  16. It's In Your Eyes

the sky outside is greasy black and angry...
since my electricity might go at any minute,
i'm submitting this now and will work on it
a bit at a time, then take this out.

february 13, 2002
nah--the post-script stays.

many thanks to ascorbic for helping me neaten this up a bit...