Castlevania is more than a single game; it's Konami's epic spanning nearly five hundred years, from the first confrontation between a Belmont and Dracula to even the end of World War I, chronicling the rivalry of the Belmont clan and the immortal lord. Moreover, the Castlevania is the castle given form by Dracula's will, and recreates itself as Dracula is awakened, drawing on him to form his sanctuary. Often, it is shaped by the mind of a strong-willed person enslaved to Dracula, and indeed some have been enslaved for this purpose. Only those invited or destined to slay Dracula can enter, and the castle is always populated by scores of monsters, great and small.

An international note - In Japan, Castlevania was known as "Akumajou Dracula" (悪魔城 ドラキュラ), or "Demon Castle Dracula," up until Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, which was known as Castlevania: White Night Symphony in Japan. (The exception to this is the Game Boy series, with a series of different names.)

The Castlevania series is highly prized by fans for its soundtracks. Vampire Killer (also the name of the first Castlevania game) and Bloody Tears (both composed by James Banana) are enduring classics, and many of the original pieces for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night rank among the greatest pieces of music ever made for a video game.




Castlevania Timeline

Current as of October 27, 2002

SPOILERS AHEAD!!! While many of the games' plot consist only of "Dracula rises again, hero slays vampire," later games in the series have interesting plots with twists and turns that will be spoiled if you read this.

Sometime before 1450

Alucard (born Adrian Fahrenheit Tepes) is born to Dracula and Lisa, a human woman. The mother flees with the child, but Alucard inherits many of his father's powers, as well as his unnatural longevity and unholy hunger.

Implied is an original confrontation between Dracula and a Belmont. This may be explored in some future game, but remains merely implied at this point.

1450

Castlevania Legends - Sonia Belmont confronts Dracula as he attempts to shroud the world in shadow. While she succeeds in thwarting him and sealing him away, her power scares the other people of Romania, and she is exiled.

1451

Trevor Belmont is born to Sonia Belmont. Alucard may have been Trevor's father.

1476

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - Dracula is awakened by a cult, and once again casts a veil of darkness over Romania, seeking not only conquest but revenge against the Belmont bloodline. Trever Belmont, however, with the help of Grant DaNasty, Sypha Belnades, and Alucard, would defeat Dracula once again, sealing the vampire away for a century.

Alucard voluntarily goes into a deep slumber, one which would last over 300 years.

After 1476

Trevor Belmont and Sypha Belnades have a child, granting a varying amount of magical talent to future descendants of the Belmont line. They may be separated later, however, because the Belnades bloodline diverges soon enough to still carry that name.

1576

The Castlevania Adventure - Dracula awakes once again, but runs afoul of Trevor's descendant, Christopher Belmont. Dracula is defeated but neither slain nor sealed.

Between 1576 and 1591

Christopher has a son, named Soleiyu.

1591

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - Dracula kidnaps Soleiyu, challenging Christopher once again. Christopher slays Dracula in a holy rage, sealing the vampire for another 100 years.

1691

Castlevania - Also Vampire Killer, Super Castlevania IV, and Castlevania Chronicles, as all are remakes of the original, not sequels - Dracula, thrice sealed by a Belmont, decides that such a power cannot be destroyed, but only embraced. He shapes the Castlevania around himself not for protection this time, but as a trap, to bring the latest descendant of the Belmont line, Simon, to him. Simon, trained in the traditions of his family, is grievously wounded, but once again slays his immortal foe.

1691-1698

Simon Belmont slowly falls ill, developing the first signs of vampirism, a legacy of his battle with Dracula.

1698

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Simon discovers that the curse can only be dispelled by resurrecting Dracula and slaying the vampire once again. Fighting against the remnants of Dracula's followers, Simon collects Dracula's body parts and returns to the Castlevania, reviving and once again slaying Dracula, freeing himself of the curse.

There is a youth-oriented novelization of this game, written under the obvious pen name F.X. Nine. It's considered apocryphal, largely because it ignored the plot of the game, and was just awful besides.

1748

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - Maxim Kischine, friend of Juste Belmont (who is a competant mage on top of his family's considerable power), goes on a quest to prove his worth, feeling inferior to his long-time friend. Unfortunately, his quest to prove himself is that of Juste's ancestor, Simon. Not only does Maxim fail to fully revive Dracula, he earns himself Simon's curse, descending into madness. His madness creates a new Castlevania, composed of two halves to match his madness. Juste, lead there by Maxim in a period of lucidity, completes Maxim's revival of Dracula, saving his friend and again laying the vampire to rest.

1792

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood - Also known as Castlevania Dracula X - Dracula is awakened once again, and seeks to slay the latest member of the Belmont line. Watching Richter Belmont from afar, he strikes, kidnapping his girlfriend and her sister, Annette and Maria Renard, as well as several villagers. Richter, in the tradition of his family, rescues the hostages and slays Dracula once again.

1796

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Dark Priest Shaft (I can dig it), preparing to revive Dracula once again, entices Richter into the coalescing Castlevania, reawakening the link to Dracula in the Belmont bloodline. Richter's mind is slowly corrupted, and his will shapes the Castlevania. Maria Renard journeys to the castle, as does Alucard, awakened by the shift in Dracula's power. Eventually, Alucard, with Maria's help, frees Richter, defeats Shaft and Dracula, and disappears with Maria.

Implied, but not stated, is that Maria is the continuation of the Belnades family line. Also implied but not stated is that Alucard and Maria run off together after this game, and (ahem) continue the Belnades line.

1830

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - While the Belmont family and the Belnades familes were the only families to have tangled with Dracula so far, they were hardly the only family in Europe with the skills to face down powerful dark forces. Morris Baldwin, no stranger to the forces of darkness, had trained two proteges, Nathan Graves and his son, Hugh Baldwin. Nathan, wielding the Vampire Killer whip, fought his way through the castle, and confronted Hugh, who had been corrupted by Dracula's power and had become the latest mind to shape the Castlevania. Nathan's efforts were in vain, however, as Morris would be slain to revive Dracula. Overcoming his grief, he slew Dracula, and once again sealed Dracula and the Castlevania.

1844

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness - Dracula is revived by his followers, out once again to shroud the world in darkness. The cursed man-beast Cornell, trying to redeem himself in the eyes of human society, cripples Dracula, sealing him in the Castlevania for a time.

1852

Castlevania 64 - Dracula is resurrected by Death himself, and searches out the last of the Belmont clan to once again exact his revenge. Reinhardt Schneider, last descendant of the Belmont clan, and Carrie Fernandez, last descendant of the Belnades clan, band together to slay Dracula once again.

1897

The events of Bram Stoker's Dracula - While this story is elsewhere, what isn't mentioned in Bram Stoker's work (and is true in the Castlevania timeline) is that Quincey Morris is a descendant of the Belmont line, and that his son, John, was with him in the background as Dracula was once again slain.

1917

Castlevania Bloodlines - Elizabeth Bartley, a niece of Dracula, is accidentally awakened, and she begins the rituals to awaken her uncle. John Morris, the last known member of the Belmont clan, and his friend Eric Lecarde, bearer of the Alcarde spear, defeat Elizabeth and Dracula, sealing them away once again.

2017

Logically, this is when Dracula would awaken again.

Sources: videogames.com's History of Castlevania (http://www.videogames.com/features/universal/castlevania_history/), the ugly yet functional Castlevania Dungeon (www.classicgaming.com/castlevania), http://www.geocities.com/shineai, GameFAQs, longtime interest in the series. Special thanks to Oolong for the Unicode for "Akumajou Dracula."