About Paleontology:When people hear the word paleontology, the first thing to spring to mind is usually thoughts of dinosaurs and skeletons mounted in museums. Perhaps the image of a paleontologist is that of the characters in the movie Jurassic Park, or of some of the colorful people who are interviewed for dinosaur specials on television.

While the study of dinosaurs and the reconstruction of skeletons are both important areas of paleontology, they are by no means the only ones. Paleontology is nothing less than the study of life on earth, from its origin to the present day. This includes on the one hand all the diversity of life, from bacteria to kelp to dinosaurs. Paleontology also spans many areas of science -- paleontologists must have training not only in biology, but in geology, chemistry, and other fields as well. Because paleontology is such a diverse field, several subdisciplines are recognized. Each of these focusses more closely on particular kinds of organisms,preservation types, or techniques.

Paleontogy Paleontology is the study of fossils. A fossil is defined as any trace of a past life form. Thus, although wood, bones, and shells are the most common fossils, under certain conditions soft tissues, tracks and trails, and even coprolites (fossil feces) may be preserved as fossils. Although most of the fossils that paleontologists study are several thousands to several billions of years old, there is no absolute minimum age for a biological structure to be a fossil.

Paleontologists study these fossils and attempt to use them to reconstruct the history of the Earth and the life on it. Some study the ecology of the past; others work on the evolution of fossil taxa.