The only thing about Aphex Twin that I can say with certainty is that he's either a compulsive liar or good at marketing. Either way, he only gives joke answers in interviews, leaving everything about him shrouded in mystery. It's therefore probably quite sensible to assume that he's just an ordinary person who happens to be a talented composer of electronic music, and move on.

As far as his music is concerned, it's hit and miss. Some of it seems to be very clever but isn't, some of it seems to be very clever and is, and some of it may or may not be clever but it's so idiosyncratic that no one outside of his cult of followers cares. At any rate, he's capable of making very beautiful music when he wants to. This is why it's such a shame that he doesn't seem to care about what anyone else wants to hear, verging on attempts to downright annoy everyone.

All in all, he's very good at making background drones and loud noises, but only rarely puts in the effort to make anything in between, such as actual music. This is why whenever you buy an Aphex Twin album, it is vitally important that you get a receipt.

Selected Discography

Most artists start out making amateur music that's enthusiastic and original yet lacks polish, then slowly creep closer and closer towards making glossy, technically correct music that isn't innovative anymore. Aphex Twin isn't like that at all. He started off making strange music, and each subsequent album got even further removed from what everybody else was doing, as his lonely island suffered further continental drift.

I'd therefore recommend you check out his earliest albums first. If you don't like those, there's little chance you'll be able to stomach his later releases.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 One of the definitive ambient techno albums.

Selected Ambient Works Volume II Truly ambient music, spanning the emotional spectrum from beautiful to scary. This is the one you should listen to while having a bath, having a stroll around an abandoned power station at night, or having an epiphany.