A typical response to hearing the phrase "panic attack" in conversation is lighthearted skepticism, or at best, kind but incompletely-understanding empathy. I wasn't even aware it was an actual condition until it happened to me and I started to read up on it; I'd always thought it was just a sort of dramatic idiom.

If you're only familiar with the symptoms of a panic attack through secondhand knowledge, they do seem pretty strange. At the drop of a hat, and potentially due to no traceable trigger, one falls prey to:

Although this surely seems ridiculous to an unaffected individual, especially the last item on the list, the feelings are indistinguishable from reality to those suffering the panic attack. Depending on the severity of one's affliction with panic disorder, they may find it hard to manage previously straightforward aspects of their life, and it is not uncommon for one in the grip of a particularly intense attack to take an unnecessary trip to the emergency room. Although no outright "cure" is available, there are some prescription drugs and psychiatric techniques that can help. On a personal note, I've found that spending time in the company of close friends, or even simpler things like making your way to some fresh air can help the situation a lot.