This wacky comedy released in 1989 is the third installment of the Griswold family adventures. It was directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik. It was written by John Hughes. The cast includes Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Randy Quaid, Miriam Flynn, William Hickey, Juliette Lewis, Johnny Galecki, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mae Questel, and more.

Yule crack up.

We join the Griswolds once again for a family vacation, but this time they are staying home. It's Christmas time and they are having family over to help celebrate the holidays. Don't for one instance think staying home is going to keep the Griswolds from getting into some kind of wacky mishaps. Clark (Chevy Chase) is once again under the idea that he is going to have the perfect holiday and it all starts with the christmas tree and decorations. Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo) continues to try to hold everything together with her own brand of polite wackiness. Audrey (Juliette Lewis) and Rusty (Johnny Galecki) are forced to room together as we are introduced to more of the Griswolds' extended family. Enter both Clark's parents and Ellen's parents, plus Cousin Eddie (Randy Quaid) and Cousin Catherine (Miriam Flynn) make a surprise appearance with two of their kids in tow. Heck they brought the whole house! Add to the mix wacky Uncle Lewis (William Hickey) and senile Aunt Bethany (Mae Questel) and you have a family holiday to remember. Amongst all this confusion Clark is waiting on his Christmas bonus.

It wouldn't be the Holidays if the stores weren't any hooter-hotter then they are. -- Clark Griswold

I love this movie! Probably the best of the series. My friends and I will gather together and watch this and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! every year. It is a tradition we formed in college. It also reminds me of my family holiday get-togethers. Besides my sentimental attachments to this movie it is freaking hilarious! I don't think I can express how much I like this movie. A must see.

Shitter's full. -- Cousin Eddie.

Preceded by: National Lampoon's Vacation and National Lampoon's European Vacation
Followed by: National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation