I'll meet you in the grocery store, picking over avocados next to you.

You may overhear a talk I am having with a friend, in a coffee shop, and invite yourself into it.

You may be the clerk in the mailroom where i went to mail a package.

You may be the person I randomly sit next to in the theatre.

You may be anyone.

I meet them all the time, random strangers I remember.

When I first meet you, I'll be shocked, but try to hide it, and usually succeed. I'll SWEAR I've met you before, and my mind will scramble to place when and where. I will try to find how I know you. But nothing will fit. None of the patterns from this life fit at all.

And I'll sit there, or stand. I'll talk to you for two hours, or I'll barely speak. But I'll have seen your eyes. and I'll know.

I won't say anything, of course. Because I don't know WHAT, or when or where. And I won't figure it out in that time, almost surely not.

You'll fascinate me, of course. I'll be curious about you for weeks after. Both who you are now, and who you were. But in the end, I'll walk away. And you'll haunt my thoughts.

In the end I'll walk away. And I'll mourn your loss. I'll mourn knowing I share that past with you and the fact I'll never ever realize its entirety. Because I've known you and connected before, I'll remember you. Well, I'll remember knowing you. I'll probably never truly remember you at all... I just wish I could...

Because you're one of those random people I remember, but wish I remembered better...