Today was a productive day, though I'm not sure whether to be proud of myself, or should hide in the nearest corner.

Today I replaced my senior NCO (non commissioned officer)'s desk. Before he went on leave he told me "make sure nobody fucks with my shit", and promise to prevent monkeybusiness I did. I was adamant about his desk being in exactly the same condition in which he left it (albeit possibly a little dustier, but two weeks without use will do that). It was within eyesight the whole two weeks I've been sitting here at my desk, and nothing had been done to it, I was doing a good job, hell, I even got promoted!

Here is where things went horribly wrong, soon before his two weeks had been up, someone pushed a desk into the adjacent room, it looked like pine if I wasn't mistaken. Surely the different look between a redwood and pine desk would be noticed, but why was it sitting in there? My commander told me "hey, could you move this desk in before the end of your shift?". This was my commanding officer, I had to listen to him! I removed everything from the desk and replaced it, even transitioning everything between the two sets of drawers. My senior NCO had ordered me to prevent people from fucking with his shit, and I had, singlehandedly fucked with ALL of the aforementioned shit.

The moral to the story? Only promise within your ability, include clauses like the "commanding officer" clause. Remember to keep zip ties to organize wires after you're done thoroughly migrating a desk.