Swarm (?), v. i. [Cf. Swerve.]

To climb a tree, pole, or the like, by embracing it with the arms and legs alternately. See Shin.

[Colloq.]

At the top was placed a piece of money, as a prize for those who could swarm up and seize it. W. Coxe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, n. [OE. swarm, AS. swearm; akin to D. zwerm, G. schwarm, OHG. swaram, Icel. svarmr a tumult, Sw. svarm a swarm, Dan. svaerm, and G. schwirren to whiz, to buzz, Skr. svar to sound, and perhaps to E. swear. 177. Cf. Swerve, Swirl.]

1.

A large number or mass of small animals or insects, especially when in motion.

"A deadly swarm of hornets."

Milton.

2.

Especially, a great number of honeybees which emigrate from a hive at once, and seek new lodgings under the direction of a queen; a like body of bees settled permanently in a hive.

"A swarm of bees."

Chaucer.

3.

Hence, any great number or multitude, as of people in motion, or sometimes of inanimate objects; as, a swarm of meteorites.

Those prodigious swarms that had settled themselves in every part of it [Italy]. Addison.

Syn. -- Multitude; crowd; throng.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Swarmed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swarming.]

1.

To collect, and depart from a hive by flight in a body; -- said of bees; as, bees swarm in warm, clear days in summer.

2.

To appear or collect in a crowd; to throng together; to congregate in a multitude.

Chaucer.

3.

To be crowded; to be thronged with a multitude of beings in motion.

Every place swarms with soldiers. Spenser.

4.

To abound; to be filled (with).

Atterbury.

5.

To breed multitudes.

Not so thick swarmed once the soil Bedropped with blood of Gorgon. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, v. t.

To crowd or throng.

Fanshawe.

 

© Webster 1913.