Starve (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Starved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Starving.] [OE. sterven to die, AS. steorfan; akin to D. sterven, G. sterben, OHG. sterban, Icel. starf labor, toil.]

1.

To die; to perish.

[Obs., except in the sense of perishing with cold or hunger.]

Lydgate.

In hot coals he hath himself raked . . . Thus starved this worthy mighty Hercules. Chaucer.

2.

To perish with hunger; to suffer extreme hunger or want; to be very indigent.

Sometimes virtue starves, while vice is fed. Pope.

3.

To perish or die with cold.

Spenser.

Have I seen the naked starve for cold? Sandys.

Starving with cold as well as hunger. W. Irving.

⇒ In this sense, still common in England, but rarely used of the United States.

 

© Webster 1913.


Starve, v. t.

1.

To destroy with cold.

[Eng.]

From beds of raging fire, to starve in ice Their soft ethereal warmth. Milton.

2.

To kill with hunger; as, maliciously to starve a man is, in law, murder.

3.

To distress or subdue by famine; as, to starvea garrison into a surrender.

Attalus endeavored to starve Italy by stopping their convoy of provisions from Africa. Arbuthnot.

4.

To destroy by want of any kind; as, to starve plans by depriving them of proper light and air.

5.

To deprive of force or vigor; to disable.

The pens of historians, writing thereof, seemed starved for matter in an age so fruitful of memorable actions. Fuller.

The powers of their minds are starved by disuse. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.