Pull (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pulled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pulling.] [AS. pullian; cf. LG. pulen, and Gael. peall, piol, spiol.]

1.

To draw, or attempt to draw, toward one; to draw forcibly.

Ne'er pull your hat upon your brows. Shak.

He put forth his hand . . . and pulled her in. Gen. viii. 9.

2.

To draw apart; to tear; to rend.

He hath turned aside my ways, and pulled me in pieces; he hath made me desolate. Lam. iii. 11.

3.

To gather with the hand, or by drawing toward one; to pluck; as, to pull fruit; to pull flax; to pull a finch.

4.

To move or operate by the motion of drawing towards one; as, to pull a bell; to pull an oar.

5. Horse Racing

To hold back, and so prevent from winning; as, the favorite was pulled.

6. Print.

To take or make, as a proof or impression; -- hand presses being worked by pulling a lever.

7. Cricket

To strike the ball in a particular manner. See Pull, n., 8.

Never pull a straight fast ball to leg. R. H. Lyttelton.

To pull and haul, to draw hither and thither. " Both are equally pulled and hauled to do that which they are unable to do. " South. -- To pull down, to demolish; to destroy; to degrade; as, to pull down a house. " In political affairs, as well as mechanical, it is easier to pull down than build up." Howell. " To raise the wretched, and pull down the proud." Roscommon. To pull a finch. See under Finch. To pull off, take or draw off.<-- (b) to perform (something illegal or unethical); as, to pull off a heist [robbery]. (c) to accomplish, against the odds.-->

 

© Webster 1913.


Pull (?), v. i.

To exert one's self in an act or motion of drawing or hauling; to tug; as, to pull at a rope.

To pull apart, to become separated by pulling; as, a rope will pull apart. -- To pull up, to draw the reins; to stop; to halt. To pull through, to come successfully to the end of a difficult undertaking, a dangerous sickness, or the like.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pull, n.

1.

The act of pulling or drawing with force; an effort to move something by drawing toward one.

I awakened with a violent pull upon the ring which was fastened at the top of my box. Swift.

2.

A contest; a struggle; as, a wrestling pull.

Carew.

3.

A pluck; loss or violence suffered.

[Poetic]

Two pulls at once; His lady banished, and a limb lopped off. Shak.

4.

A knob, handle, or lever, etc., by which anything is pulled; as, a drawer pull; a bell pull.

5.

The act of rowing; as, a pull on the river.

[Colloq.]

6.

The act of drinking; as, to take a pull at the beer, or the mug.

[Slang]

Dickens.

7.

Something in one's favor in a comparison or a contest; an advantage; means of influencing; as, in weights the favorite had the pull.

[Slang]

8. Cricket

A kind of stroke by which a leg ball is sent to the off side, or an off ball to the side.

The pull is not a legitimate stroke, but bad cricket. R. A. Proctor.

 

© Webster 1913.