Grad"u*ate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Graduated (?) p. pr. & vb. n. Graduating ().] [Cf. F. graduer. See Graduate, n., Grade.]

1.

To mark with degrees; to divide into regular steps, grades, or intervals, as the scale of a thermometer, a scheme of punishment or rewards, etc.

2.

To admit or elevate to a certain grade or degree; esp., in a college or university, to admit, at the close of the course, to an honorable standing defined by a diploma; as, he was graduated at Yale College.

3.

To prepare gradually; to arrange, temper, or modify by degrees or to a certain degree; to determine the degrees of; as, to graduate the heat of an oven.

Dyers advance and graduate their colors with salts. Browne.

4. Chem.

To bring to a certain degree of consistency, by evaporation, as a fluid.

Graduating engine, a dividing engine. See Dividing engine, under Dividing.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grad"u*ate, v. i.

1.

To pass by degrees; to change gradually; to shade off; as, sandstone which graduates into gneiss; carnelian sometimes graduates into quartz.

2. Zool.

To taper, as the tail of certain birds.

3.

To take a degree in a college or university; to become a graduate; to receive a diploma.

He graduated at Oxford. Latham.

He was brought to their bar and asked where he had graduated. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grad"u*ate (?), n. [LL. graduatus, p. p. of graduare to admit to a degree, fr. L. gradus grade. See Grade, n.]

1.

One who has received an academical or professional degree; one who has completed the prescribed course of study in any school or institution of learning.

2.

A graduated cup, tube, or flask; a measuring glass used by apothecaries and chemists. See under Graduated.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grad"u*ate, a. [See Graduate, n. & v.]

Arrangei by successive steps or degrees; graduated.

Beginning with the genus, passing through all the graduate and subordinate stages. Tatham.

 

© Webster 1913.