Cup (k?p), n. [AS. cuppe, LL. cuppa cup; cf. L. cupa tub, cask; cf. also Gr. hut, Skr. kpa pit, hollow, OSlav. kupa cup. Cf. Coop, Cupola, Cowl a water vessel, and Cob, Coif, Cop.]

1.

A small vessel, used commonly to drink from; as, a tin cup, a silver cup, a wine cup; especially, in modern times, the pottery or porcelain vessel, commonly with a handle, used with a saucer in drinking tea, coffee, and the like.

2.

The contents of such a vessel; a cupful.

Give me a cup of sack, boy. Shak.

3. pl.

Repeated potations; social or exessive indulgence in intoxicating drinks; revelry.

Thence from cups to civil broils. Milton.

4.

That which is to be received or indured; that which is allotted to one; a portion.

O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me. Matt. xxvi. 39.

5.

Anything shaped like a cup; as, the cup of an acorn, or of a flower.

The cowslip's golden cup no more I see. Shenstone.

6. Med.

A cupping glass or other vessel or instrument used to produce the vacuum in cupping.

Cup and ball, a familiar toy of children, having a cup on the top of a piece of wood to which, a ball is attached by a cord; the ball, being thrown up, is to be caught in the cup; bilboquet. Milman.- Cup and can, familiar companions. -- Dry cup, Wet cup Med., a cup used for dry or wet cupping. See under Cupping. -- To be in one's cups, to be drunk.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cup, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cupped (k?pt); p. pr. & vb. n. Cupping.]

1.

To supply with cups of wine.

[R.]

Cup us, till the world go round. Shak.

2. Surg.

To apply a cupping apparatus to; to subject to the operation of cupping. See Cupping.

3. Mech.

To make concave or in the form of a cup; as, to cup the end of a screw.

 

© Webster 1913.