Com*pact" (?), p. p. & a [L. compactus, p. p. of compingere to join or unite; com- + pangere to fasten, fix: cf. F. compacte. See Pact.]

1.

Joined or held together; leagued; confederated.

[Obs.] "Compact with her that's gone."

Shak.

A pipe of seven reeds, compact with wax together. Peacham.

2.

Composed or made; -- with of.

[Poetic]

A wandering fire, Compact of unctuous vapor. Milton.

3.

Closely or firmly united, as the particles of solid bodies; firm; close; solid; dense.

Glass, crystal, gems, and other compact bodies. Sir I. Newton.

4.

Brief; close; pithy; not diffuse; not verbose; as, a compact discourse.

Syn. -- Firm; close; solid; dense; pithy; sententious.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com*pact", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Compacted; p. pr. & vb. n. Compacting.]

1.

To thrust, drive, or press closely together; to join firmly; to consolidate; to make close; -- as the parts which compose a body.

Now the bright sun compacts the precious stone. Blackstone.

2.

To unite or connect firmly, as in a system.

The whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth. Eph. iv. 16.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"pact (?), n. [L. compactum, fr. compacisci, p. p. compactus, to make an agreement with; com- + pacisci to make an agreement. See Pact.]

An agreement between parties; a covenant or contract.

The law of nations depends on mutual compacts, treaties, leagues, etc. Blackstone.

Wedlock is described as the indissoluble compact. Macaulay.

The federal constitution has been styled a compact between the States by which it was ratified. Wharton.

Syn. -- See Covenant.

 

© Webster 1913.