Brack"et (&?;), n. [Cf.OF. braguette codpiece, F. brayette, Sp. bragueta, also a projecting mold in architecture; dim. fr.L. bracae breeches; cf. also, OF. bracon beam, prop, support; of unknown origin. Cf. Breeches.]

1. (Arch.)

An architectural member, plain or ornamental, projecting from a wall or pier, to support weight falling outside of the same; also, a decorative feature seeming to discharge such an office.

⇒ This is the more general word. See Brace, Cantalever, Console, Corbel, Strut.

2. (Engin. & Mech.)

A piece or combination of pieces, usually triangular in general shape, projecting from, or fastened to, a wall, or other surface, to support heavy bodies or to strengthen angles.

3. (Naut.)

A shot, crooked timber, resembling a knee, used as a support.

4. (Mil.)

The cheek or side of an ordnance carriage.

5. (Print.)

One of two characters [], used to inclose a reference, explanation, or note, or a part to be excluded from a sentence, to indicate an interpolation, to rectify a mistake, or to supply an omission, and for certain other purposes; -- called also crotchet.

6.

A gas fixture or lamp holder projecting from the face of a wall, column, or the like.

Bracket light, a gas fixture or a lamp attached to a wall, column, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Brack"et, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bracketed; p. pr. & vb. n. Bracketing]

To place within brackets; to connect by brackets; to furnish with brackets.

 

© Webster 1913


Brack"et, n. (Gunnery)

A figure determined by firing a projectile beyond a target and another short of it, as a basis for ascertaining the proper elevation of the piece; -- only used in the phrase, to establish a bracket. After the bracket is established shots are fired with intermediate elevations until the exact range is obtained. In the United States navy it is called fork.

 

© Webster 1913


Brack"et, v. t. (Gunnery)

To shoot so as to establish a bracket for (an object).

 

© Webster 1913