Si"lence (?), n. [F., fr. L. silentium. See Silent.]

1.

The state of being silent; entire absence of sound or noise; absolute stillness.

I saw and heared; for such a numerous host Fled not in silence through the frighted deep. Milton.

2.

Forbearance from, or absence of, speech; taciturnity; muteness.

3.

Secrecy; as, these things were transacted in silence.

The administration itself keeps a profound silence. D. Webster.

4.

The cessation of rage, agitation, or tumilt; calmness; quiest; as, the elements were reduced to silence.

5.

Absence of mention; oblivion.

And what most merits fame, in silence hid. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Si"lence, interj.

Be silent; -- used elliptically for let there be silence, or keep silence.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Si"lence, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Silenced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Silencing (?).]

1.

To compel to silence; to cause to be still; to still; to hush.

Silence that dreadful bell; it frights the isle. Shak.

2.

To put to rest; to quiet.

This would silence all further opposition. Clarendon.

These would have silenced their scruples. Rogers.

3.

To restrain from the exercise of any function, privilege of instruction, or the like, especially from the act of preaching; as, to silence a minister of the gospel.

The Rev. Thomas Hooker of Chelmsford, in Essex, was silenced for nonconformity. B. Trumbull.

4.

To cause to cease firing, as by a vigorous cannonade; as, to silence the batteries of an enemy.

 

© Webster 1913.