Sa"vor (?), n. [OE. savour, savor, savur, OF. savor, savour, F. saveur, fr. L. sapor, fr. sapere to taste, savor. See Sage, a., and cf. Sapid, Insipid, Sapor.] [Written also savour.]

1.

That property of a thing which affects the organs of taste or smell; taste and odor; flavor; relish; scent; as, the savor of an orange or a rose; an ill savor.

I smell sweet savors and I feel soft things. Shak.

2.

Hence, specific flavor or quality; characteristic property; distinctive temper, tinge, taint, and the like.

Why is not my life a continual joy, and the savor of heaven perpetually upon my spirit? Baxter.

3.

Sense of smell; power to scent, or trace by scent.

[R.] "Beyond my savor."

Herbert.

4.

Pleasure; delight; attractiveness.

[Obs.]

She shall no savor have therein but lite. Chaucer.

Syn. -- Taste; flavor; relish; odor; scent; smell.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sa"vor, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Savored (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Savoring.] [Cf. OF. savorer, F. savourer. See Savor, n.] [Written also savour.]

1.

To have a particular smell or taste; -- with of.

2.

To partake of the quality or nature; to indicate the presence or influence; to smack; -- with of.

This savors not much of distraction. Shak.

I have rejected everything that savors of party. Addison.

3.

To use the sense of taste.

[Obs.]

By sight, hearing, smelling, tasting or savoring, and feeling. Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sa"vor, v. t.

1.

To perceive by the smell or the taste; hence, to perceive; to note.

[Obs.]

B. Jonson.

2.

To have the flavor or quality of; to indicate the presence of.

[R.]

That cuts us off from hope, and savors only Rancor and pride, impatience and despite. Milton.

3.

To taste or smell with pleasure; to delight in; to relish; to like; to favor.

[R.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.