Ghost (?), n. [OE. gast, gost, soul, spirit, AS. gast breath, spirit, soul; akin to OS. gst spirit, soul, D. geest, G. geist, and prob. to E. gaze, ghastly.]

1.

The spirit; the soul of man.

[Obs.]

Then gives her grieved ghost thus to lament. Spenser.

2.

The disembodied soul; the soul or spirit of a deceased person; a spirit appearing after death; an apparition; a specter.

The mighty ghosts of our great Harrys rose. Shak.

I thought that I had died in sleep, And was a blessed ghost. Coleridge.

3.

Any faint shadowy semblance; an unsubstantial image; a phantom; a glimmering; as, not a ghost of a chance; the ghost of an idea.

Each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. Poe.

4.

A false image formed in a telescope by reflection from the surfaces of one or more lenses.

Ghost moth Zool., a large European moth (Hepialus humuli); so called from the white color of the male, and the peculiar hovering flight; -- called also great swift. -- Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit; the Paraclete; the Comforter; Theol. the third person in the Trinity. -- To give up ∨ yield up the ghost, to die; to expire.

And he gave up the ghost full softly. Chaucer.

Jacob . . . yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people. Gen. xlix. 33.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ghost, v. i.

To die; to expire.

[Obs.]

Sir P. Sidney.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ghost, v. t.

To appear to or haunt in the form of an apparition.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.