Di*vine" (?), a. [Compar. Diviner (); superl. Divinest.] [F. divin, L. divinus divine, divinely inspired, fr. divus, dius, belonging to a deity; akin to Gr. , and L. deus, God. See Deity.]

1.

Of or belonging to God; as, divine perfections; the divine will.

"The immensity of the divine nature."

Paley.

2.

Proceeding from God; as, divine judgments.

"Divine protection."

Bacon.

3.

Appropriated to God, or celebrating his praise; religious; pious; holy; as, divine service; divine songs; divine worship.

4.

Pertaining to, or proceeding from, a deity; partaking of the nature of a god or the gods.

"The divine Apollo said."

Shak.

5.

Godlike; heavenly; excellent in the highest degree; supremely admirable; apparently above what is human. In this application, the word admits of comparison; as, the divinest mind. Sir J. Davies.

"The divine Desdemona."

Shak.

A divine sentence is in the lips of the king. Prov. xvi. 10.

But not to one in this benighted age Is that diviner inspiration given. Gray.

6.

Presageful; foreboding; prescient.

[Obs.]

Yet oft his heart, divine of something ill, Misgave him. Milton.

7.

Relating to divinity or theology.

Church history and other divine learning. South.

Syn. -- Supernatural; superhuman; godlike; heavenly; celestial; pious; holy; sacred; preeminent.

 

© Webster 1913.


Di*vine", n. [L. divinus a soothsayer, LL., a theologian. See Divine, a.]

1.

One skilled in divinity; a theologian.

"Poets were the first divines."

Denham.

2.

A minister of the gospel; a priest; a clergyman.

The first divines of New England were surpassed by none in extensive erudition. J. Woodbridge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Di*vine", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divined (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Divining.] [L. divinare: cf. F. deviner. See Divination.]

1.

To foresee or foreknow; to detect; to anticipate; to conjecture.

A sagacity which divined the evil designs. Bancroft.

2.

To foretell; to predict; to presage.

Darest thou . . . divine his downfall? Shak.

3.

To render divine; to deify.

[Obs.]

Living on earth like angel new divined. Spenser.

Syn. -- To foretell; predict; presage; prophesy; prognosticate; forebode; guess; conjecture; surmise.

 

© Webster 1913.


Di*vine", v. i.

1.

To use or practice divination; to foretell by divination; to utter prognostications.

The prophets thereof divine for money. Micah iii. 11.

2.

To have or feel a presage or foreboding.

Suggest but truth to my divining thoughts. Shak.

3.

To conjecture or guess; as, to divine rightly.

 

© Webster 1913.