Dis*or"der (?), n. [Pref. dis- + order: cf. F. d'esordre.]

1.

Want of order or regular disposition; lack of arrangement; confusion; disarray; as, the troops were thrown into disorder; the papers are in disorder.

2.

Neglect of order or system; irregularity.

From vulgar bounds with brave disorder part, And snatch a grace beyond the reach of art. Pope.

3.

Breach of public order; disturbance of the peace of society; tumult.

Shak.

4.

Disturbance of the functions of the animal economy of the soul; sickness; derangement.

"Disorder in the body."

Locke.

Syn. -- Irregularity; disarrangement; confusion; tumult; bustle; disturbance; disease; illness; indisposition; sickness; ailment; malady; distemper. See Disease.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*or"der, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Disordered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Disordering.]

1.

To disturb the order of; to derange or disarrange; to throw into confusion; to confuse.

Disordering the whole frame or jurisprudence. Burke.

The burden . . . disordered the aids and auxiliary rafters into a common ruin. Jer. Taylor.

2.

To disturb or interrupt the regular and natural functions of (either body or mind); to produce sickness or indisposition in; to discompose; to derange; as, to disorder the head or stomach.

A man whose judgment was so much disordered by party spirit. Macaulay.

3.

To depose from holy orders.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

Syn. -- To disarrange; derange; confuse; discompose.

 

© Webster 1913.