Con"flict n. [L. conflictus a striking together, fr. confligere, -flictum, to strike together, to fight: cf. F. conflit, formerly also conflict. See Conflict, v.]

1.

A striking or dashing together; violent collision; as, a conflict of elements or waves.

2.

A strife for the mastery; hostile contest; battle; struggle; fighting.

As soon as he [Atterbury] was himself again, he became eager for action and conflict.
Macaulay.

An irrepressible conflict between opposing and enduring forces.
W. H. Seward.

Conflict of laws, that branch of jurisprudence which deals with individual litigation claimed to be subject to the conflicting laws of two or more states or nations; -- often used as synonymous with Private international law.

Syn. -- Contest; collision; struggle; combat; strife; contention; battle; fight; encounter. See Contest.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*flict" v. i. [imp. & p. p. Conflicted; p. pr. & vb. n. Conflicting.] [L. conflictus, p.p. of confligere to conflict (cf. conflictare); con- + fligere to strike; cf. Gr. fli`bein, qli`bein, to press, L. flagrum whip.]

1.

To strike or dash together; to meet in violent collision; to collide.

Shak.

Fire and water conflicting together.
Bacon.

2.

To maintain a conflict; to contend; to engage in strife or opposition; to struggle.

A man would be content to . . . conflict with great difficulties, in hopes of a mighty reward.
Abp. Tillotson.

3.

To be in opposition; to be contradictory.

The laws of the United States and of the individual States may, in some cases, conflict with each other.
Wheaton.

Syn. -- To fight; contend; contest; resist; struggle; combat; strive; battle.

 

© Webster 1913.