Chop (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Chopped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chopping.] [Cf. LG. & D. kappen, Dan. kappe, Sw. kappa. Cf. Chap to crack.]

1.

To cut by striking repeatedly with a sharp instrument; to cut into pieces; to mince; -- often with up.

2.

To sever or separate by one more blows of a sharp instrument; to divide; -- usually with off or down.

Chop off your hand, and it to the king. Shak.

3.

To seize or devour greedily; -- with up.

[Obs.]

Upon the opening of his mouth he drops his breakfast, which the fox presently chopped up. L'estrange.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop (?), v. i.

1.

To make a quick strike, or repeated strokes, with an ax or other sharp instrument.

2.

To do something suddenly with an unexpected motion; to catch or attempt to seize.

Out of greediness to get both, he chops at the shadow, and loses the substance. L'Estrange.

3.

To interrupt; -- with in or out.

This fellow interrupted the sermon, even suddenly chopping in. Latimer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. t. [Cf. D. koopen to buy. See Cheapen, v. t., and cf. Chap, v. i., to buy.]

1.

To barter or truck.

2.

To exchange; substitute one thing for another.

We go on chopping and changing our friends. L'Estrange.

To chop logic, to dispute with an affected use of logical terms; to argue sophistically.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. i.

1.

To purchase by way of truck.

2. Naut.

To vary or shift suddenly; as, the wind chops about.

3.

To wrangle; to altercate; to bandy words.

Let not the counsel at the bar chop with the judge. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n.

A change; a vicissitude.

Marryat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, v. t. & i.

To crack. See Chap, v. t. & i.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n.

1.

The act of chopping; a stroke.

2.

A piece chopped off; a slice or small piece, especially of meat; as, a mutton chop.

3.

A crack or cleft. See Chap.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n. [See Chap.]

1.

A jaw of an animal; -- commonly in the pl. See Chops.

2.

A movable jaw or cheek, as of a wooden vise.

3.

The land at each side of the mouth of a river, harbor, or channel; as, East Chop or West Chop. See Chops.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chop, n. [Chin. & Hind. chap stamp, brand.]

1.

Quality; brand; as, silk of the first chop.

2.

A permit or clearance.

Chop dollar, a silver dollar stamped to attest its purity. -- chop of tea, a number of boxes of the same make and quality of leaf. -- Chowchow chop. See under Chowchow. -- Grand chop, a ship's port clearance.

S. W. Williams.

 

© Webster 1913.