(Ultima VII)

An utilitarian organization founded by Batlin, Elizabeth and Abraham.

During the time Avatar was once again in Earth after solving that gargoyle mess, Batlin travelled around Britannia and learned a lot of things.

After he reunited with the two friends - each having been travelling on their own - they decided to found an organization. Lord British didn't care much of them at first; He just tossed them out of his castle, but Batlin kept trying until Lord Britsh gave them his approval.

The organization is believed to be "compatible" with the Eight Virtues philosophy (of course, that's what all cults say about their relationship with other religions...) but they say the Eight Virtues are not really good because they accentuate one's flaws - not even Avatar could perfectly live up to them, they say. Their belief is based on The Triad of Inner Strength, the way of sanguine cognition:

  1. Strive for Unity (Lack of common goal brings chaos)
  2. Trust Thy Brother (Lack of trust makes us vulnerable)
  3. Worthiness Precedes Reward (Emphasis on accomplishments, not on personal gain)

So much for the way they present themselves. Just before the Avatar arrived to Britannia once again, he was contacted by an apparently malevolent entity known as the Guardian. Apparently, this same creature also appears in the dreams of the members of the Fellowship...

...also, there's something fishy about the ways the Fellowship works: While they do help the poor and such, they make people to join them before they help them - if they refuse to be members, they don't get anything. So much for that utilitarianism...

Some have compared The Fellowship to The Church of Scientology (or any crazy cult, for that matter)... there are great differences between the two, but both have extremely suspicious ways of handling things. =)


Sources: Ultima VII and the accompanying document "The Book of Fellowship"