Some places in Utah and Nevada, you could drive really fast. There was nothing bigger than a stunted juniper for a state trooper to hide behind. The highway shot straight through empty valleys and looped over the barren shoulders of foothills, and a vehicle ten miles away was easily visible as a burning glimmer on the horizon. My mother had friends in Delta, in the western Utah desert around where the Feds once imagined they'd like to build a track-based nuclear missile system. That never happened, and the drive down there was usually pretty quiet and unhindered.

I was driving us back from Delta one time and went a little too fast through Eureka, which happened to be a college friend's home town. Eureka only had about 800 people, but it was the biggest thing in the Tintic Valley. Donna had been a wildly unhappy creative-writing and drama-club soul, drinker and party girl at Tintic High. Her dad was an unemployed silver miner. One year they'd lived entirely on rabbits and canned peaches.

There was very little happening in Eureka the day Mom and I came hurtling through. At the city line I stepped on the gas and took the big car up to 95 miles per hour, its heavy frame barely shivering. Before long there was an array of colored lights winking cheerfully at me in the rear-view mirror as it closed in on my tail. (No matter how far over the speed limit I'd been driving, this always seemed to amaze me.) I slowed and eventually pulled over on the crunchy gravel, savoring my last moments of freedom before the lengthy prison term I had surely just earned along with piling eternal shame on my mother.

The cop who strolled up and leaned over my window was a compact little guy with a neat mustache and comb-over and the dark blue uniform of the ... Eureka Police Department? He WAS the Eureka Police Department, and I was being ticketed for doing 45 in a 25-mph zone. He examined my license and noticed my Hebrew middle name. That was new; in some parts of Utah, people guessed I was part Indian -- hell, once someone thought part Chinese -- because I wasn't a blue-eyed blonde, and they assumed "Shoshana" was a version of "Shoshone." Mom was intrigued and struck up a conversation, and Officer Vic turned out to be from her old neighborhood in New York City. So perhaps in deference to the gods that had caused two Greenwich Villagers to collide in the Utah desert, the entire result of this incident was a discreet little fine mailed to the city clerk, but not one point on my driving record.

I ran into Donna later and she couldn't believe I'd been enough of an idiot to let Vic catch me. "He was right behind the billboard!" she shrieked. "Duh! He's always right behind the only billboard in town!"