From my high school paper on the subject:

I support euthanasia in all of its forms except involuntary euthanasia. I believe that those who suffer greatly deserve a way out. It is easy for people who are not suffering to say that patients who choose euthanasia are making a bad decision. Most Americans support physician assisted suicide, and I bet that the percentage supporting it would be much higher if everyone polled was terminally ill. Supporters of euthanasia are not suggesting that we force it on anyone; it is merely another option open to the suffering. Research indicates that, even if it were legal everywhere, only a very small percentage of terminally ill Americans would actually take advantage of that right . People suggesting that we will become a death-obsessed culture, shipping everyone over 65 to a concentration camp, are employing scare tactics that mean nothing. There is nothing to suggest that allowing euthanasia in certain circumstances will result in a "slippery slope" that will lead to the involuntary euthanasia of Hitler’s Germany. The pro-euthanasia camps have used such scare tactics as well. No one likes the image of a whole population in comas and hooked up to machines until the money runs out. Both sides need to get beyond the silly arguments and the taboo associated with euthanasia and work out laws that give the dying more biological freedom.

Many Americans reject euthanasia because they feel that it goes against the will of God. They are free to believe that, but those people should recognize that most Americans do not share their view. Unlike abortion and other sticky moral issues, the person killed in euthanasia voluntarily dies. Who is the victim of such a crime? There are no victims. I have expressed my strong views about euthanasia, but I still think there should be some restriction. Oregon’s law is a fine example of what a euthanasia law should be. Two physicians must decide that the person is terminally ill and suffering. In addition, the patient is asked repeatedly over the course of weeks if he or she really wants to die. There are safeguards in place to make sure depressed or mentally ill people don’t slip through the cracks. There is a lot of red tape, but the decision is so important that all that red tape is necessary.

Both sides of this issue claim to be the compassionate side. Anti-euthanasia groups talk about "compassionate care," whereas pro-euthanasia organizations mention "compassionate death." Compassionate care is great for those who want it, but forcing someone to remain in a life they see as painful and meaningless is anything but compassionate. I believe everyone has the right to a great death. For some people, this means living as long as they can. For others, it means spending as much time with their families as possible. For some people though, a great death is painless and quick. They want to be surrounded by their loved ones, and they want to go whenever they feel the time is best. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to deprive this last group of people from a great death, just so that they can suffer longer.